Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It's Official...Canidae/Diamond


I have been reading on my dog forum and on other sites around the net that not only did Canidae change their dry formulas, but they also are now being manufactured or partially manufactured by Diamond.

We don't feed this to our dogs any longer, but my mom feeds Mickey their canned food (that's really all he'll eat) and so I still try to keep up with the recalls and what's going on in the pet food world.

This really concerns me because we lost two cats to the Diamond recall of 2006 and frankly, I just will never trust any brand made by Diamond again.

So I emailed Canidae...and here was my response from them.

http://www.canidae.com/new-formulas.html
Dear Heidi,

Please click on the above link, we have updated our site to insure all your questions are answered about our newly improved formulas. Be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom of that page.

Due to overwhelming customer support and increased demand on our products, we have been faced with unique production capacity challenges. Our growing customer support and demand has pushed for increased capacity, therefore we have outsourced additional production from Diamond Pet Foods. Our customers demand and deserve no less than the highest quality safe ingredients, as well as state of the art consistent manufacturing. Outsourcing additional production from Diamond comes not without first carefully instating and accepting only the strictest testing protocols, as well as mandating stringent operating procedures to ensure the highest quality products possible at every level of production. We are very happy with this relationship and the high quality formulations we are able to bring to you. Expect Excellence!

Our quality of raw material as well as quality control has actually increased not decreased. Yes we have diversified our complex carbohydrates as rice continues to climb and high quality availability decreases. Our products are better than ever and more consistent. Yes we have cut costs on shipping rates as fuel continues to go through the roof. To ship pet food from one location is no longer cost effective. Our economy is facing some challenging times and we are being proactive in offering you the highest quality products, yet affordable enough for our consumers to purchase. We are not sure about other companies and their plans for change or their reasons in the past, however we feel we are being open and honest about our changes. We are getting alot of positive feedback from our customers that are actually feeding their pets our improved formulas.

We thank thank you for your comments, and hope your pets are able to receive the benefits of our products.

Personally, I still wouldn't trust them. But that's me and it's really a personal preference.


Added 8/11/08....many people have come to my blog to read this post so I thought I'd also include a list of foods that are made by Diamond. I copied this list from a dog forum I participate at and so I cannot account for it's accuracy. But thought it was worth adding.

  • Kirkland is made by Schell and Kampeter who also is dba for Diamond. (imo pretty sneeky way of not coming right out and saying what foods Diamond does make)
  • TOTW
  • Solid Golid
  • Country Value
  • Diamond
  • Professional
  • Natural Balance
  • Artemis
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul
  • Canidae
  • Nutra
  • Premium Edge
  • Menu foods makes canned Nutro
Like I said, I cannot account for the accuracy of this list. I hope that a food like Artemis is not made by Diamond, but I have no clue and cannot say. I'll have to look into it.

Here's a site that has a good list of many foods and their ingredients: The Best Dry Dog Foods

1 comments:

Unknown said...

They totally don't get it. They use words such as "affordable", "costs", etc etc. Why not just increase the price and maintain the quality? I would think that most of their customers are not price sensitive, but are quality conscious. We spend thousands of dollars per year on our dog, and was a loyal customer of Canidae for a long time. No more!