Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year...DOG SCARE!!!

And no...not the seizure kind....

I went to let the dogs back in from outside at like 5:45 and they didn't come when I called them! I was calling and calling and nothing. My heart SANK...where did they go? So I checked and OMG the gate was open! I ran to the front door to see if they were on the porch or something. No, they weren't there either.

I called my husband who was at work and told him the dogs were gone. He works about a 1/2 hour from home but he left to come home and help me.

I ran in my house changed shoes, shut the back door, grabbed my keys and purse and jacket and ran outside. I called and called and called for them.

We're very near a busy interesection so I feared the worst! And also, OMG where did they go??? So I was yelling and yelling and heard whistling and yelling from on the other side of this brick wall that's behind our house. I could barely hear her, but I jumped in my car to go there. I saw an SUV parked in a driveway and 2 ladies there. I left my car running, keys in it and my purse and got out to look for the dogs.

She said she JUST saw a black dog and a red and white dog - MY BABIES! - so I called and called them and we followed the prints around...but they weren't there. There is a building that's being built there and also a used car dealership so we were walking through there calling them and whistling for them. The one lady said she was trying to stop them from crossing the busy road...THANK GOD she did. She just kept saying she JUST saw them, so I knew they couldn't have been far.

So we both left there to see if they were back in the neighborhood. I was going to drive by my house and then back out to see if I could find them. I stopped to look in our yard and I heard honking behind me...and a little black bundle of fur running towards me!!! Ok, there's onyx, where's Topaz. I got her in the car and thanked the ladies and our neighbors across the street were out shoveling and asked if we were still looking for another dog. I said YES! and they said I think we have him in our yard...and there was topaz!!!!

OMG...scary scary scary!! The whole ordeal was only 15 minutes, but alot can happen in 15 minutes with two dogs and a very busy intersection at rush hour!

We think someone let them out of the yard, so the gate will be getting a chain and lock come payday.

I don't think i've ever been so scared and felt so helpless ever...and I don't think I've prayed so hard to find them safe and sound. A lot goes through your head!

But they are both safe and home...THANK GOD and thanks to everyone who helped...I don't know who they are...but the kindness of strangers is overwhelming.



I wonder what was going through their heads...like did they know they were lost? i am sure they could hear me and I wonder if they were scared because they could hear me but not find me and they were looking for home. Then I wondered if they were going back to our old house which is like 4 blocks from where we live now. I was going to swing by there and check too. But it seems like they did find their way back home, or almost. Topaz was in a neighbor's yard and Onyx was just down the road. I assume they were together, but they were separate when I found them.

That was the longest 15 minutes of my life.

0 comments: